Monday, June 18, 2012

Social Etiquette





Author:  NotYourTypicalMom-Parent of a teen daughter with Asperger's Syndrome

I have a 12 year old daughter who is very likely on the spectrum and very likely Aspergian.  Just the other day, we were at Hardee's for lunch - yes I know, not terribly healthy - but dh loves their burgers.  Anyway, over the last 12 years we've gone there enough that some of the long-time employees know us and feel very comfortable with us.  One of them came to our table and whispered something to dd - something about Father's Day.  Dd did not appreciate that a total stranger came and whispered in her ear.  We asked dd if she recognized the lady employee.  She didn't.  We told her that this woman was being friendly, but dd doesn't really know how to receive that.  It's something I will be helping her with next:)  I noticed there is a workshop that addresses helping high functioning people on the spectrum....but it’s several hours away from here.  That's a bit of a ways away for me, especially since it's a week-day.  I did see a few other resources for teens when I was reading recently, so I think I'll check those out. 

These are the resources I’m going to check into:

“Manners for the Real World” by Coulter Videos to teach social manners, rules and cues.

“The Transporters” by Simon Baron-Cohen ….also “Mind Reading” is a computer program they developed.

GRASP President Michael John Carley – book “Asperger’s from the Inside Out”

Brenda Smith Myles’ book and calendar series titled “The Hidden Curriculum”.

I’ll let you know how it goes and tell you what I think works for us and why.  Maybe it will help you decide what might work for you or someone you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment